Entries for the 2012 Comrades Marathon open on 1 September 2011 and close on Friday 30 November 2011, at close of business, or when the cap of 18,000 entries is reached. For example: if entry numbers reach 18,000 on 7 November 2011 entries will officially close.
Entry fees for the 2012 Comrades Marathon are as follows:
• Local athletes (South African citizens) R300.00
• Rest of Africa Athletes R500.00
• International Athletes US$180.00
The CMA will offer an “early bird” special entry fee for local runners who enter between 1 September and 30 September 2011. The “early bird entry fee” will be R270.00, the same as the 2011 entry fee!
All athletes who submitted their entries by closing date of entries have until Friday, 4 May 2012 to qualify for the 2012 Comrades Marathon. The athletes will be required to submit their qualifying details (club name, license number and qualifying time) to the CMA office in Pietermaritzburg by Friday, 4 May 2012. Athletes who have successfully completed the 2011 Comrades Marathon can use their race time as the qualifying time for the 2012 Comrades Marathon.
The CMA has also approved for implementation in 2012, for the first time in its history, a Substitution Rule that would allow athletes to substitute (or replace) other athletes who entered but are no longer able to run due to injury, illness or because they were unable to qualify. The detailed substitution procedure and time period for the substitution process will be announced in due course.
The CMA urges regular Comrades athletes as well as Novices to be proactive and enter early so that they can benefit from the special early bird entry fee of R270.00 which will be available from 1 September to 30 September 2011. If athletes don’t make use of this opportunity they will have to pay the higher entry fee of R300.00 valid from 1 October to 30 November 2011.
Prospective Comrades athletes can enter for the 2012 Comrades Marathon in the following ways:
• Online Entries on the Comrades Marathon website at www.comrades.com
• Mr Price Sport, Home and Clothing stores countrywide.
• Postal Entries by posting the completed entry form with proof of payment to the CMA office in Pietermaritzburg: P.O. Box 100621 Scottsville, 3209.
• Comrades Marathon House: by handing the completed form together with payment, in at the Comrades Marathon office in Pietermaritzburg.
Statement Released on Thursday, 26 May 2011