Organised by Conker Exhibitions, experts in exhibitions and conferencing, the event has grown in leaps and bounds over the last five years. This year over 130 exhibitors ranging from the top sport shoe and clothing brands to a wide variety of sport nutritional supplements and support devices will line the isles of the expo. The expo will further serve as the official registration point for the 2011 Comrades Marathon. With 19,600 athletes having entered for the 2011 Comrades Marathon the CMA expects between 50,000 and 60,000 visitors to attend the Bonitas Comrades Expo from 26 to 28 May.
Liezle Bothma of Conker Exhibitions said the Bonitas Comrades Expo is more than a traditional running expo. It is not only aimed at the ambitious ultra runner, but also caters for sport enthusiasts of all ages who want to see and experience the latest trends in the sports industry. “The Bonitas Comrades Expo has grown in size and stature since its inception in 1983. We are delighted with the response we’ve had from the various brands and proud to announce, for the first time ever, that the four major footwear brands will each have a big stand at this year’s expo. This is definitely an event everyone should attend, even if they’re not running on race day,” she added. She went on to invite all visitors to Durban and especially the local public to join in the excitement generated by then Comrades Marathon by visit the Bonitas Comrades Expo.
Johan van Staden, Comrades Marathon Race Director said he looked forward to this year’s Expo as Conker Exhibitions have established themselves as the leading exhibition organisers on the East Coast. “After a long-standing relationship with Conker Exhibitions, we know that they will deliver yet another world class event. It has become one of the most popular sporting exhibitions in the country and I know this year will be even better,” he said.
Some of the highlights to look forward to at the 2011 Bonitas Comrades Expo are:
• Free cholesterol testing on the Flora Stand.
• Free massage at the Bonitas Physiotherapy Massage stand
• Free cholesterol screening, glucose and blood pressure testing at the Boinitas stand.
• Former M-net Idols (Bongi, Boki and Adeline) performing on Friday at 17h00 and Saturday at 12h00.
• SAB Castle Lite Beer Tent.
• Leuko Inter-Varsity ‘Strap for Life’ competition.
• KwaZulu-Natal Gymnastic displays.
• View the Comrades History Gallery- a photographic exhibition which dates back to the first race in 1921.
• Comrades Shop which will offer the latest Reebok clothing and Comrades Memorabilia.
• Meet previous Comrades Marathon Winners and Legends.
• All kinds of products and services (body massages) at special Expo prices
The Bonitas Comrades Expo is set to be a treat for any sportsman or woman and will be will be held at the Durban Exhibition Centre opening on Thursday 26 May and Friday 27 May from 09h00 to 19h00 and on Saturday 28 May from 09h00 to 17h00,
Entrance to the Bonitas Comrades Expo is free of charge.
Statement Released on Tuesday, 17 May 2011