The Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) has announced that there are just two days left for charitable organisations in South Africa to apply for selection as an official Amabeadibeadi charity. Applications need to be submitted at Comrades House – 18 Connaught Road, Scottsville in Pietermaritzburg – by close of business 16h30 on Wednesday, 30 September 2020.
The CMA’s Amabeadibeadi Charity Drive has been raising funds through the Comrades Marathon’s various platforms and with the generosity of Comrades runners, supporters, volunteers, sponsors and partners since 1996, with over R60-million raised for worthy causes since its inception.
The current six official Amabeadibeadi charities are the Durban & Pietermaritzburg Community Chests, Childhood Cancer Foundation (CHOC), Hillcrest Aids Centre Trust, Hospice Palliative Care Association, Wildlands Conservation Trust and World Vision South Africa.
The charities’ respective focus is on issues of community development, care for the aged, health and wellness, AIDS care and support and the environment.
Through the amazing Amabeadibeadi Charity initiative, they gain significant resources to effect the intended meaningful change to those needy communities across South Africa.
Charities are selected for a three-year cycle, beginning with the build-up to Comrades 2021 until post-Comrades 2023.
Those charities which agree to participate as an official Comrades Amabeadibeadi Charity will be required to enter a formal agreement and must be able to commit to the following Comrades Marathon events and promotions annually:
- 3 days active of participation in the Comrades Marathon Expo with a minimum of 4 staff members or volunteers.
- Attendance at the Annual Fundraising Handover Media Launch – normally held in Pietermaritzburg during the month of July
- Provision of a minimum of 6 media articles to inform runners of your organization’s work and progress
- A dedicated staff member who will devote their time to communicating with runners who choose to support your charity, keep record of direct deposits and provide fundraising advice and ideas to your campaign
- An open mind to collaborate with our other Official Charities.
- Hosting a refreshment station on race day.
The closing date for applications is 30 September 2020. Please note that emailed applications will not be accepted. Applications must be hand-delivered or couriered to:
Comrades Marathon Association 18 Connaught Road, Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg 3201. For enquiries, please call Sifiso Mngoma on 033 897 8650 or email: email@example.com
For the downloadable forms, please click through to: https://www.comrades.com/images/2020/PDF/OFFICIAL_CHARITIES_APPLICATION_FORM_2020__002.pdf
CMA Charities & CSI Convenor, Pat Freeman says, “We welcome applications from charities across South Africa to be selected as an official Comrades Amabeadibeadi charity. The work of our chosen charities is nothing short of phenomenal and it is our goal as the Comrades Marathon Association that we continue to make a meaningful contribution to the charitable sector in our country and make a positive change to the social and environmental landscape through their daily activities.”